May 6, 2021
Are you on a quest to cook the perfect steak with a method that’s quick, easy, and delicious? Search no further, because we’ve got your answer: reverse searing.
Reverse searing is a method of cooking steak that starts in the oven and ends in a hot pan. This method is ideal because it combines the gentle, even heat of your oven and the intense, direct heat of a hot pan. In the end, you get an evenly cooked steak with a nice crust and hearty flavor—without the danger of overcooking.
Watch and learn how to do it!
What You’ll Need to Reverse Sear a Steak
- 2 Grass Run Farms 100% grass fed steaks (We recommend ribeye or New York strip)
- 2 tbsp Butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
How to Reverse Sear a Grass Fed Steak in 9 Steps
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees F.
- Salt and pepper your steak generously.
- Place your seasoned steak on a baking tray in your preheated oven.
- Cook until steak reaches an appropriate internal temperature. Temp steaks with a food thermometer inserted into the center of the steak. See our handy-dandy chart below for temperature guidelines.
- Preheat your skillet to medium-high heat. Cast iron is the best!
- Add butter to your hot skillet. About a tablespoon will do for each steak.
- Sear steak for one minute on each side. Bonus: use a spoon to drizzle the melted butter over the steak as it cooks for extra browning and flavor.
- Remove steak from the skillet and let it rest for three minutes.
- Slice against the grain, serve, and enjoy!
Steak Cooking Temperature Chart
When in doubt, refer to your trusty meat thermometer and this chart. All degrees are listed in Fahrenheit.
How to Slice Steaks Against the Grain
Take a close look at your steaks, ideally before they’re cooked. The grains (or fibers) of the meat will be running in one direction. Once cooked, you’ll want to slice against, or perpendicular to the grains. This breaks up the muscle fibers and provides perfectly tender bites of steak.
Want more grass fed goodness? Bookmark our recipes page for fast, fun, family-friendly recipes you’ll love.