September 17, 2020
It’s cliché, but true. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Read on to learn how breakfast benefits your health and discover our favorite protein-packed beef breakfast recipes.
Why is breakfast the most important meal of the day?
Eating breakfast kick-starts your metabolism, helping you burn calories and providing your body with the fuel you need throughout the day. Studies have also linked eating breakfast to better memory and concentration, lower levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol, and reduced risk of diabetes, heart disease, and weight issues.
When your breakfast includes lean grass fed beef, the nutritional benefits skyrocket. In addition to making you feel fuller longer, protein is an essential building block for the heart, lungs, kidneys, bones, blood, nerve cells, skin, and hair. A three ounce serving of beef has 51% of your daily value of protein, in addition to nine other key nutrients.
Often, people skip breakfast because they’re pressed for time, which can lead to being too hungry to make smart food choices later in the day. We’ve been there … a skipped breakfast often leads to a late-morning sugar binge.
That’s where this list comes in! Here are three protein-packed breakfast recipes (featuring grass fed beef) that you can prep and enjoy in no time.
Easy Country Beef Breakfast Sausage
This recipe uses lean ground beef and herbs to create a super simple breakfast sausage that can be prepared as patties or crumbles. Make a large batch ahead of time, and heat up smaller portions with scrambled eggs and cheddar for an easy skillet dish.
Recipe via Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 lb. Grass Run Farms 100% grass fed ground beef
- 2 tsp chopped fresh sage (or 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- Combine ground beef and seasonings in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- To make patties, lightly shape sausage mixture into four 1/2-inch thick patties. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add patties; cook 10 to 12 minutes or until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally.
- To prepare crumbles, heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add sausage mixture; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 1/2-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally.
Italian Beef Breakfast Skillet
The Kitchen Magpie is a self-described busy mom of two, so if she likes a recipe, you know it’s both fast and delicious. She uses leftover Sunday beef roast to make this colorful, nutritious skillet in just 20 minutes. Our slow cooker beef roast recipe is a great choice! Save extra time by prepping your veggies in advance.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 lb. boiled potatoes, sliced
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1-2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1-2 c leftover beef
- Soft mozzarella cheese, sliced into circles
- Parmesan cheese to sprinkle
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, fry the potatoes in the olive oil to crisp them up—around 5 minutes. Add in the peppers, onions, and seasoning, fry until the onions are soft.
- Stir in the beef and then fry until completely warmed through.
- Top with mozzarella and fresh parsley.
- Cover with a lid to melt the cheese, then serve.
Spicy Sausage Scramble
If you’re a fan of spicy food, you know that it’s a great way to awaken the senses—making this spicy sausage scramble a smart choice for a healthy breakfast. This recipe is adapted from Saveur’s recipe, but we’ve added our Uncured Smoked Beef Jalapeño Sausage for extra protein and flavor. This scramble is super easy to customize, so add whatever veggies and herbs you love, whether it’s mushroom and parsley or fresh avocado and garlic!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 plum tomato, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. thinly sliced cilantro leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 package Grass Run Farms Uncured Smoked Beef Jalapeño Sausage, chopped at an angle into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup cheddar jack cheese
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, jalapeño, and tomato, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 6 minutes.
- Add chopped sausage and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add cilantro and eggs, and cook, folding eggs over in large curds occasionally, until cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Top with cheese, let melt for a minute, then serve.
Want more info on grass fed beef and nutrition? Registered Dietician Neva Cochran talks about beef’s 10 essential nutrients and how each benefits your body and mind in this blog post.
And, if you’re hankering for some 100% grass fed beef, find our products in a store near you!