Please note: As Chef Cory Bahr prepares this recipe, he vacuum-seals his steak and then uses a cooking method called “Sous Vide”, which is cooking that occurs in a temperature-controlled water bath. If you chose to use this method, seal the grass fed steak and use either a water bath or immersion circulator to cook steaks to preferred doneness. If this method is not an option, feel free to use the oven to cook the steaks.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for approximately 7 minutes for medium doneness.
- While the steak is cooking, start on the sauce. Heat a saucepan to medium-high heat. Place pepper and oil in the pan and “toast” the pepper for a few minutes.
- Slowly start adding in your cognac. Be careful, as flames may start to develop. As the alcohol burns off, keep the liquid moving.
- Once the alcohol has burned off, add in the heavy cream and demi-glace to your tasting. Let simmer on low heat for a few minutes, then remove from heat.
- After the steaks are done, either in the water bath or oven, take them out, season with salt and pepper, and sear them for a few minutes on both sides, either on a grill or pan. Let rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Slice steak and serve with the sauce and a side of your choice.