September 22, 2021
Hot dogs are a true American staple… and for good reason! Delicious and easy to make, these handhelds pack punches of customizable flavor and delectable goodness. Debates may continue over the best garnishes and toppings, but there’s an imaginative and simple solution to enjoying this classic meal while satisfying a wide range of palettes: serve up a hot dog bar!
Plan to include go-to condiments such as ketchup, mustard, red onion, and relish. Then, embrace your creative side and add accompanying toppings and buns everyone can mix and match to their liking!
Here’s how to get started building your very own hot dog bar!
1. Start with our Grass Fed Hot Dogs and Sausages
Begin with the most important ingredients, including Grass Run Farms Uncured Beef Hot Dogs, Polish Sausage, and Jalapeño Sausage. Our beef hot dogs are a delicious option that doesn’t cut corners: the ‘dogs are gluten-free and made without nitrates, nitrates added and MSG. Our hot dogs are made from 100% grass fed and finished beef, with no antibiotics or added hormones.
- 100% Grass Fed Beef Hog Dogs: They’re yummy, versatile, and our pick for quick dinners on weekdays nights or a flavorful classic for grilling out!
- 100% Grass Fed Smoked Beef Polish Sausage: Enjoy the smoky, savory taste in this family-favorite dish.
- 100% Grass Fed Smoked Beef Jalapeño Sausage: Ideal for a quick dinner or paired with a healthy egg breakfast, these come with a little kick!
Make sure to separate the beef hot dogs and sausages to prevent someone from accidentally taking the wrong one.
How to Cook a Hot Dog
Pick your favorite cooking method for a hot dog! A hot dog is prepared by grilling, boiling or roasting.
When grilling, heat the grill to medium-high and grill the hot dogs or sausages until the desired doneness is reached. To boil, bring one quart of water to a boil and cook hot dogs or sausages for four to five minutes. For roasting, place the hot dogs or sausages on a baking dish in a 350 degree preheated oven and cook for 20 minutes.
More importantly, don’t forget to cook beef hot dogs and sausages to a minimum of 160 degrees Fahrenheit for optimum food safety.
2. Choose Your Hot Dog Toppings
Hot dog topping ideas are endless, but your time and budget are not. Be thoughtful when deciding which garnish, sauce, and buns will make the final cut.
- All Star: Use staples stashed in your pantry to evoke the best childhood memories. Creamy mac and cheese, tangy barbeque sauce, and juicy pulled pork will catch anyone’s attention. Try offering a tasty pretzel bun for added deliciousness. (Did we mention adding bacon crumbles?)
- A Taste of the Southwest: This combination was made for our Grass Run Farms 100% Grass Fed Jalapeño Sausages. Add appetizing flair with toppings like guacamole, pico de gallo, pepper jack cheese, and crispy tortilla strips. You can also offer a soft tortilla for everyone to wrap up their meal!
- Veggie Lovers: Our Grass Run Farms 100% Grass Fed Polish Sausages are savory and juicy, making them perfect to pair with crunchy toppings. Offer cucumbers, green bell pepper slices, feta cheese, and hummus as delectable additions. A sesame or poppy seed bun can also complement the overall flavor experience.
3. Set Up Your Hot Dog Spread
There will undoubtedly be lots of experimenting as people create their plates. Have plenty of dishes or containers with compartments to keep each ingredient separate and its own utensil to serve. Items such as serving spoons, tongs, and forks will help excited kiddos or hungry guests efficiently craft their masterpieces. To make setup and cleanup a breeze, use recyclable plates, bowls, and utensils.
4. Taste Test and Enjoy!
You can’t host a gourmet hot dog bar without making sure everything tastes great for your guests. Don’t forget to relish your hard work and preparation, and enjoy a hot dog for yourself!
Celebrate summer year-round with this creative, fun opportunity to serve Grass Run Farms Beef hot dogs and sausages! Find other unique ideas that’ll become your next family-fun meal on our recipe pages.