Easy Japanese Hayashi Omurice
Steaks & Roasts
- 2 lbs. 100% grass fed stew meat
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 blocks of hayashi rice roux packet
- Water according to hayashi roux packet
- Cooked rice (for Omurice)
- 3 large eggs
- Parsley or green peas for garnish
1. Cut meat up into bite-sized pieces. Heat up a frying pan, and sauté the beef until browned. Take out the meat and set aside.
2. Next, sauté onions, mushrooms, and garlic over medium-low heat until slightly brown.
3. Combine meat, veggies and water in a heavy-bottomed stew pot (a crockpot will do nicely too).
4. After the stew has started to heat up, add the hayashi roux and the bay leaves. Stir until the roux has melted. Occasionally, add a little water or stock to thin out if it looks too thick. Simmer a few minutes.
5. Beat 3 large eggs and lightly season with salt and pepper. Put aside.
6. Heat pan or wok and coat with cooking spray or oil. Twirl the beaten eggs around the wok (spreading it thinly). The eggs will be cooked almost instantly. Make sure the egg is running and not cooked all the way! Form the runny egg thinly into a folded blanket.
7. Carefully flip the egg wrapped plate or rice. Put Hayashi Sauce on top and garnish with parsley and serve.